Unniyappam Easy and Delicious Kerala Snack Recipe
Hello everyone, myself Neelima Anil. Most of you must be familiar with Unniyappams but if on case you haven’t tried this snack, its a must try because you will surely l0ve it. So here I will be giving you Unniyappam Easy and Delicious Kerala Snack Recipe which are soft and is a famous Kerala snack.
INTRODUCTION (Unniyappam Easy and Delicious Kerala Snack Recipe)
Unniyappam or Unni Appam are sweet fritters made with rice, banana, a couple of spices and coconut. Gluten-free and vegan recipe. Onam is a festival of Kerala, unniyappams are served as a snack in it as it is one of those special sweet snacks of Kerala. Some temples in Kerala also offer unniyappams as prasad.
INGREDIENTS (Unniyappam Easy and Delicious Kerala Snack Recipe)
For Soaking Rice
- 200 grams rice (use any type of short grained rice) or 1 cup
- water as required
For Frying Coconut
- ½ tablespoon oil for frying coconut
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh coconut
Other Ingredients For Unniyappam
- 175 grams bananas (with their peels) or two medium sized bananas or ¾ cup chopped bananas
- 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
- ½ cup jaggery powder or add in as much as needed
- ¼ cup water or add as required
- 3 to 4 green cardamoms
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon dry ginger powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda o rabout 2 pinch of baking soda
- ½ to 1 teaspoon ghee or coconut oil for each mould
DIRECTIONS (Unniyappam Easy and Delicious Kerala Snack Recipe)
- 1 cup of rice must be rinsed in water for a couple of times. Then for 3-4 hours soak it in enough water. If you want you can even soak it overnight.
- Add the soaked rice in a grinder jar after draining away all the water.
- Add seeds from 3 to 4 green cardamoms, ¾ cup chopped bananas and ½ cup jaggery powder or grated jaggery.
If you prefer for more sweet taste you can add ¾ cup jaggery.
- Then add ¼ cup water or add as preffered.
- Grind everything till you get rava like consistency. The consistency of batter should be semi fine.
- Take another bowl pour in the batter and keep it aside.
- Next take a small pan and heat ½ tablespoon coconut oil or ghee. Cut the coconut pieces into smaller ones. Add 3 tablespoons chopped coconut pieces.
- Stirring often fry till the coconut pieces into golden color.
Making Unniyappam Batter
- Along with the remaining oil add the fried coconut pieces in the batter.
- Then add ½ teaspoon cumin powder, 1 tsp black sesame seeds, ½ teaspoon dry ginger powder, ¼ teaspoon baking soda. If you need add in a pinch of salt. Skipping Baking soda is also fine, but adding them gives a soft texture to the appams.
- Mix very well.
- Now heat the appe chatti pan (it is a pan to make unniyappams). Keep the flame at low and then on each mould add ½ to 1 teaspoon coconut oil or ghee.
- When the oil becomes hot, pour the batter with a spoon into the chatti moulds till it fills ¾ of each mould.
- Cook till the base of the unniyappam is golden and crisp at a low to medium-low flame.
- With a wooden skewer or stick turnover each unniyappam.
- Over a couple of times more you can turnover for even cooking.
- Once from all the sides it is golden and crisp, place the unni appams on kitchen paper towels. Prepare unniyappam in the same way with the remaining batter. No need to add extra oil, if there is oil already present in the mould.
- Serve the unniyappams at room temperature or warm as a sweet snack. These can be even placed in a casserole. These appams stay warm for some time in the casserole.
- You can make 28 Unniyappams from this recipe. These stay good for 1 to 2 days at room temperature. This can be even refrigerated.
Do try this recipe once. You will surely regret not having it earlier.